I started working in the studio again today, and for once I didn’t have any trouble getting right into it. I had an idea brewing in my head and I executed it, and it feels good.
The basic idea is to throw a perfectly flat plate with a raised area in the middle, and then to slice that off with a coiled wire. As you can see, I didn’t drag the wire straight through, but I pulled it side to side, and switched directions ever inch or so. I might make an instructional video if there’s interest.
Now that I’ve done a few variations, I think I’m gonna churn out a set of these, but I might also try moving the wire different ways.
I did a lot of this kind of stuff on the bottom of pots for the last year or so, when I wanted to make some interesting feet and I wasn’t super worried about weight or evenness, but I saw someone who had coiled wire designs on a plate earlier this month, and I was like “I KNOW EXACTLY HOW THEY DID THAT… I COULD MAKE A COOLER VERSION OF THAT!”